Friday, April 4, 2008

Diabetes?


After throwing up this morning and no dairy involvement, we began to wonder what was going on with Phoenix. My dad asked if it could be blood sugar related and I started thinking about it, and it didn't sound crazy. So, about 1½hrs after eating 5 saltines and a strawberry, I tested his blood sugar - it was 317. Thinking it was a fluke or that readings for kids are different I decided to wait and retest. A little over an hour later (more than 2½ hrs after eating) his blood sugar was now 263. I also happened to have glucose test strips and his glucose in his urine was off the charts high. So, of course, I called the dr and she wanted him to come in right away. He'll be having a fasting blood test Monday morning but, even the dr thinks he might be diabetic. If he is it could explain so much - the throwing up, the behavioral problems, maybe even the lump. We'll just have to wait and see. Fortunately the fasting blood draw only takes 24 hrs to get the results from. If it's high then we repeat it. Two high fasting blood draws above 126 mean he has juvenile diabetes. I know it would suck but, I would much rather it be diabetes (which we can treat) than cancer or SPD. I feel like we are on that mystery diagnosis show.

No comments: